Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ashly 5th birthday Cake



Time flies! It's my girl Ashly 5th Birthday! This year she request a mermaid/princess cake. I know she likes the character of Little Mermaid but there is no way I can do a similar one for her. I also don't have enough time to get for her any toppers (haha...tons of reasons). Hence I decided to google for mermaid cake image. In this era, Internet & googling really helps to solve many of my problems :)

Using what I have learnt from my baking lesson I used the same set up and just change the design and pipe a mermaid tail. I think I did badly on the scale part. I used the piping tip meant for piping petal and the cream is too soft to hold the shape. I make use of piping jelly to pipe the crab and tortoise. As for the fish I used melted chocolate to pipe the shape the fish. The chocolate are left over coating for my mini donuts which I have packed in a box of 2 to be given to the children at the end of the celebration. Just decorating the cake itself took me 3 1/2 hours.
I hope Ashly have a wonderful celebration in school and Mummy wish you 快高长大,身体健康!


* Not forgetting to thank my ah lao for getting the 旺旺小馒头at a very last minute request!

5 comments:

Tigg3r said...

Happy Birthday to Ashly!

I'm sure she'll like the cake. :)

DG said...

Beautiful Mermaid Cakes. I never use piping gel before, I saw in the Phoon Huat is transparent colour, did you put colour or fruit paste for the piping gel?

I have 2 awards for you, please feel free to collect it from my blog :)

Bakericious said...

the cake is so beautiful!

FATMUM said...

Thanks Mrs T!

DG, yap its the transparent gel. Ailing sell those with fruits paste added. I added colour and paste depending what are the colours I have available. You can also mix with whipping cream to get white colour. And thanks for the 2 beautiful awards.

bakericious
Thanks!

Aiye said...

What a pretty cake! The cake looks really nice.