Monday, May 31, 2010

Chocolate Roll 可可蛋糕卷


As I flip through 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 I can't resist the sight of the Chocolate roll she have made. This is using a chiffon cake base. Compared to the finger sponge base, I prefered the former, so soft!
Recipe adapted from 孟老师的美味蛋糕卷
Set (A)
20gm cocoa powder
40gm warm water
Set(B)
30gm egg yolks @ 3 nos of eggs
50gm sugar
50gm oil
30gm milk (I used chocolate milk)
75gm cake flour (I used 65gm plain flour + 10gm corn flour)
Set (C)
120gm egg white @ 3 nos of eggs
65gm sugar
Filling
180gm dairy cream
20gm fine sugar
Method
1) Melt coco powder with the warm water and set aside
2) Whisk egg yolks with sugar till sugar melt or turn pale. Add milk+oil and mix. Pour in (1) & stirred. Add flour and mix. Do not overmix.
3) Whisk Set (C) till stiff peak
4) Remove 1/3 of (3) and fold into (2)
5) Pour (4) into balance white and fold. Again do not overmix else it will deflat the white.
6) lined tray with baking paper and pour (5). Bang the tray (36x26cm) to release big bubble and baked in top heat 190c and bottom heat 160c for 12mins. ( I baked at 180c since my oven can't adjust the heating element for 16mins)
7) removed from tray immediately and released the edges of the baking paper to allow the cake to cool.
8) Spread filling and roll. Keep refrigerated for about 30-60mins before slicing.

6 comments:

Christine said...

Yesterday I went to expo, but didn't have time to go into popular book fair, otherwise I would have bought her book without second thought.

FATMUM said...

Christine, some of the blogger mentioned that it can be obtained at JB popular book shop. Mayb you would like to give it a try. Hope u get your copy soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fatmum
Thanks for sharing d recipes,I'm baked this chocolate roll yesterday,it was too soft to handle and d "skin" peel off, I think my cake under cook,and also
not as flufy that yours.
Will try it again .
Ling

FATMUM said...

Ling, do give it another try. Am sure you can do it. Extend the baking time slightly longer. Give a slight touch on the sponge to see if it dry to touch. happy caking!

Lili said...

Hi Fatmum,

I try this recipe today but the skin was peeling when I roll it. When I roll the it, the cake start cracking. Can you tell me how do you roll it? Thank you. Oh yeah, the swiss roll was really fluffy.

FATMUM said...

Hi Lili, Probably you can extend the baking time by another 5 more mins to prevent the skin from sticking on the paper. On the rolling part Christine have a very clear step by step instruction which you can take a look. Happy caking!
http://christinelua328.blogspot.com/2010/05/vanilla-swiss-roll_28.html